Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 19:18:35 -0500

>> where `re-builder` would be highlighted with a "trivial common part"
>                      ^ won't be                   ^nontrivial

[ same difference ;-) ]

>> whereas `rename-buffer` would be highlighted differently.
> Indeed. That's the whole idea. "re" and "-b" in "rename-buffer" would indeed
> be highlighted since the match is nontrivial.
>> You might consider it as a feature, of course.
> Yes. That's the idea.

I'm wondering why you think it's a feature.  Could you explain?

The way I see it, it in 99% of the cases it would just work identically
on all displayed completions (sometimes using trivial for all and
sometimes using nontrivial for all), and in the remaining cases it would
use a mix and my natural reaction would likely be "M-x report-emacs-bug".

        Stefan