Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 22:42:10 +0000

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 10:20 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06.11.2019 20:10, João Távora wrote:
> I attach a screenshot, substring-completing "comp"

Thanks. Just as I thought.

You are using Emacs in a terminal, on a dark background. Which are
special conditions.

No Dmitry I'm not. How could I be if I was objecting earlier
about the difference to black text??! You asked if I was
using a dark theme, and I opened one in a terminal to
show you what it looked like.  I thought _you_ were using one.

Do you mean cyan3 or cyan4 are aren't good enough
contrast for the default GUI white background? I think
it is. Here's a screenshot of cyan4, which downgrades
to cyan in those special conditions.

Do you think it's not sufficient contrast to the background?

Anyway, defface has ways to change what the face
looks like depending on the background you have,
the amount of colours you have, etc.

Again, and this is pretty objective, I'm saying blue3 or
blue4 are bad because, while they indeed do fill
the requirement of distinguishing themselves from the
background, they do not distinguish themselves sufficiently
from the default black text.  Which is the whole point of this
discussion.

João