Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 18:10:04 +0000

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 5:26 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

>  > Does anyone object to this change?
>
> Can't it be cyan or cyan 3 or something that? Dark blue against black
> has terrible contrast.

It needs to contrast against the background as the first priority.

I agree, and cyan 3 does that, IMO. Or cyan4 if you prefer.  Or cyan.

But curiously, until very recently, the recommendation for this face, as stated in
this docstring, is that you set it to shadow, i.e. that you set it to something that
_doesn't_ contrast  against the background.   That is presumably for 'prefix'
users so that they can focus on 'first-difference' even more.

This recommendation has been removed recently (a good change, imo).

Are you using a dark theme? Cyan looks entirely inappropriate over here.

I'm not. I'm using the default. We're talking about defaults, right?

In a dark MinTTY emulator with "xterm" defaults and Emacs -Q defaults,
cyan is pretty readable.  It's the same as minibuffer prompt and many,
many other faces.

I attach a screenshot, substring-completing "comp".

João Távora