Re: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 16:00:54 +0100

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 10:39:44AM +0000, Jo?o T?vora wrote:
Ergus <address@hidden> writes:

movie theater where there are only classics playing.  Lots of grainy
footage but all movies are superb.
Yes, but nobody feels impressed by the special effects in the first Star
Wars today, in spite of they were amazing in their moment and required
much more effort than newer movies.

I'm glad I made the analogy, then.  I am more interested in cinema than
special effects.  Metaphoricaly, of course.  (but also literally).

And I found icomplete.el, which is already in Emacs.
ivy is also based on icomplete actually.

Oh.  What do you mean "based".  Does it share some of the implementation
(i.e. does it 'require' icomplete as a library).  Or is it more of "a
derived work"?

It is a derived work. Look: https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/issues/2321

You are miscommunicating: the "gap" is whatever doesn't quite work in
icomplete-mode to make it work just like ido-mode.  It's the behaviour
of RET, C-k, C-d and some other things.
Could you add at least the cycle with arrows as in ido?

Of course, and so can you.  Have you got a FSF copyright assignment?

Yes, I have one... but I prefer to deal with the C side of emacs... ;-).

Jo?o

Ergus