Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 10:08:52 -0500

> Yes, sure. But that's an easy bar to clean because I'm fine with what we
> have now (no highlighting for common-part).

Great, so you represent an important part of the audience.

> blue3 is *very* noticeable,

That's the goal (maybe not the "very" but the "noticeable").

> which brings back the main objection to using it for prefix completion.

To be honest, I'm not completely sure what is the main objection.
I chose `blue3` so far because while noticeable it seems to me that it
doesn't affect the overall legibility nor makes the first-diff
less noticeable.

So, yes, it's "useless" highlighting for basic/prefix-completion, but
that's pretty much a given.  "useless" is compatible with "harmless".

> I recognize others feel differently, though.
> So if blue4 also works for your stated goal, which is

I could live with "blue4" but it's significantly less visible, so
I think the only role it could play is to advertise the existence of the
face, but nothing else: I expect that very few people who want to see
the common-part (e.g. because they're using flex) will find it
sufficient, whereas I suspect that `blue3` would be "good enough" for
a non-negligible fraction of those users.

It is better than what we have, IMO, so I'm willing to "retreat" to
`blue4` for this "first step" if you really think `blue3` harms the
basic/prefix-completion case.

        Stefan