Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:18:46 +0200

On 09.11.2019 17:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I think you are looking at this from the implementation POV.  From
users' POV, an option (or a minor mode) is a better way when we are
talking not just about changing colors and other face attributes, but
about changing behavior in significant ways.  In this case, what is
implemented via faces changes the behavior, because a face prominently
different from the default becomes like the default, and another face
makes the reverse transformation.  Think of this as a binary mode that
makes either the first-difference or the common part prominent:
flipping a variable is an easily understood and easily discovered way
of getting each user the behavior he/she wants.

How would that work? Having two faces have different default definitions depending on the value of the variable?

Any custom face would override that decision. And chasing all theme authors to make them honor the variable is a lot of effort.