Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 13:51:52 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 11:20:30 +0000
> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 6:57 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > By "reversal" I mean that the part we highlight is the part that
> > matched what the user typed, and the part we don't highlight is what
> > the user might type to narrow the search.  We currently do the
> > opposite.
>
> Yes. You call this an inconsistency, I don't.

I call this "reversal".  I guess we now agree about this part, whereas
previously you said there was no reversal.

> Or maybe I could call it that, but the value that arises from
> accepting it is greater than the drawbacks, IMO.

I object to making this the default behavior, because it's the exact
opposite of what we do now.  I already suggested to make what you want
an optional behavior, but AFAIU you rejected that, not sure I
understand why.