Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 19:05:22 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 16:27:36 +0000
> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>
> > It's possible, though perhaps not optimal.  I'd prefer to try to use
> > the same faces, and have their names explain what they do in a
> > sufficiently generalized way which would fit all styles.
>
> I'm afraid this particular goal is irreconcilable with a freshly
> installed Emacs having, __by default__:
>
> 1. 'basic' style give prominence to the "first different character"
> 2. 'flex' style give prominence to the pattern's characters.

AFAIU, Stefan wants to highlight the pattern's characters in basic
style as well.  So the gap is not so large after all.  AFAIU, you are
just saying that you don't want to highlight any characters with the
"first different" face, in which case just don't put that face on any
character.  Though I don't quite understand why you are so against
highlighting possible next character(s).

> UNLESS, of course that elusive face name is something
> deliberately vague and generic like 'completion-emphasis' or
> 'completion-prominence', what you call obfuscation of the specific
> meaning.  So "fit all styles" conflicts with "reveal the specific
> meaning".

I think you assign too much significance to the face names.  We should
instead try to make the highlighting of different styles more
consistent.  Highlighting only the matched part by one style and only
the next suggested characters to type is a starking difference, and I
think it will confuse users who have several styles in the alist.

> Therefore, I propose we take the the "not-optimal" and "possible"
> route.

I think you give up too early.