Re: evaluating numbers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:40:42 +0200

> The right way of doing this is "C-u C-x =".  And if we think that this
> shows way too much info, I'm OK with modifying "C-x =" to show the
> character name as an optional feature.  These are commands that were
> specifically designed to describe text; doing that as part of integer
> evaluation is too general for that.

There are other cases where displaying Unicode names might be needed
in the echo area, e.g. sometimes using query-replace to strip accents
messes the prompt with combining accent characters stacked on each other
that enlarges the minibuffer window:

  Query replace regexp (default [́̀̂] → ):

Wouldn't such prompt be more readable?

  Query replace regexp (default [?\N{COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT}] → ):