Re: evaluating numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:40:12 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>   address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:00:16 +0100
>
> Latest version attached, which produces output like so:
>
> Char: i (105, #o151, #x69, LATIN SMALL LETTER I) point=1482 of 1715 (86%)
> <860-1716> column=13

LGTM.

> +@vindex what-cursor-show-names
> +  If the user option @code{what-cursor-show-names} is non-@code{nil},
> +the name of the character is shown as well, so the part in parentheses

I'd qualify "the name of the character" somehow, so that people
understand where we get the name, and why it is in all-caps.  For
example:

  ...the name of the character as defined by the Unicode Character
  Database...

> +** New user option 'what-cursor-show-names'.
> +When non-nil, what-cursor-position will show the name of the character
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please quote symbol names in NEWS.

> +in addition to the decimal/hex/octal representation. Default nil.
                                                      ^^
Two spaces.

> +Also describe the character after point, and give its character
> +code in octal, decimal and hex, plus its name if
> +`what-cursor-show-names' is non-nil.

I wonder if non-native English speakers will understand that the part
after "if" is only about the name.

Thanks.