Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 02:44:58 +0700

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 02:31, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks, but I don't understand what that means in practice, when an
> old bug is worked on after the migration.  Is the original author of
> the bug report subscribed to the correspondence about the bug after
> the migration, or does he/she need to actively subscribe to it?  If
> the latter, I don't think the solution is satisfactory.

I do believe it was the latter, and I think it’s not a big deal in
practice. The authors got due notice.

In theory, it should be possible to pre-create user accounts for each
known email address, and do a perfect migration “as if” GitLab had
always existed and been in use. Maybe even doctor the comments so as
to strip excessive quoting if any, and mark up patches as code blocks.
(The same idea as ESR does any-version-control-system-to-Git
conversions.)