Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 17:58:44 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> > The latter, yes. But I'm more hopeful about this solution. What are we
> > worried about?
> >
> > That when we write to old bugs again, the submitter won't receive the
> > comments?
>
> Yes.  As someone who goes spelunking into bug reports, it would be a
> major problem if questions I have about the reported bugs do not reach
> the person who reported the bug.

Having done a bit of bug triaging lately, I wanted to jump in and say that I fully agree with this.  In many cases, we have no one but the original reporter to provide us with the information we need to make any progress.  Making it harder to quickly ask the reporter for more information would risk slowing down bug triaging significantly, at least in my use cases.

> And requesting somebody to register as a user on Gitlab seven years
> after reporting an Emacs bug "just in case" somebody might actually take
> a look at their bug report sounds horribly rude to me.

I think it's unrealistic to expect that we would get very good results with asking people to register.  We can often count ourselves lucky if the reporter even replies back to our e-mails.  As Eli ponted out we have had some excellent response using email, but we don't know how that would be affected if we demanded that someone logged in.  IMO, we need Gitlab to handle email well and transparently.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas