Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, ple

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 17:04:42 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> No exactly. But you can trivially look at the other recently reported
> bugs, as well as the most recent discussions, and see that the project
> is lively. Like I already said in the paragraph you cut out.

You can subscribe to <address@hidden>. You can use the debbugs
ELPA package. Granted, there's room for improvement, but we have them.

You could argue that the web-based issue trackers are more fancy. But
this is the problem: they are web-based. I'm using Emacs, and I want to
tackle my problems with Emacs. So whatever we end up, that is a
requirement I have. I don't say we shall use debbugs forever, but if we
move to another system, I don't want to loose this feature.

>>> Also: I think Yamamoto Mitsuharu's Mac Port changes the bug reporting
>>> address to his own mailbox:
>>> https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/3bf213d502a8260d29f7f55eb0938fc0a2594ea2/lisp/mail/emacsbug.el#lines-140:142
>>>
>>> And I'm not sure if I've ever seen him forward any reports to us. So
>>> the users of Mac port can't send us bug reports the usual way.
>> This is not related to our discussion.
>
> Isn't it? Mac Port reuses our branding, but removes the main way of
> sending bug reports to us.

There might be a problem with this, don't know. But we're discussing
which BTS to use for Emacs. We're not discussing here, that everybody
who provides an Emacs package or an Emacs fork shall use the default
Emacs BTS.

Best regards, Michael.