Re: Should `revert-buffer' preserve text-scaling by default?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should `revert-buffer' preserve text-scaling by default?
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 13:25:33 -0500

> bug, which is that `revert-buffer' behaves unexpectedly w.r.t. text-scaling.

FWIW, I think that this is in the eye of the beholder.

In my opinion, we should move towards an arrangement where the
revert-buffer command focuses on synchronizing the buffer's state with
the external world (e.g. text content, read-only-mode, VC state, ...)
and then have another command for resetting the modes (probably
normal-mode).

Currently, the revert-buffer's C-u is used to choose between "revert
from file or revert from the auto-save file".  Personally I never use
that (probably the most obvious reason is that I don't use auto-save
files at all), so I'd gladly change this C-u to mean "and reset the
modes".

        Stefan