Re: Some ideas with Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Some ideas with Emacs
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 19:20:12 -0500

> OK.  Does that mean that you only recommend "free" books to anyone?

Not exactly, no, but when there are Free books available, I'll usually
refrain from mentioning others in the same area.

>> E.g. I could accept a license which states that any derivative work
>> (translation or otherwise) needs to use a different title and/or clearly
>> say not only that it's a derivative of your work but also that it is not
>> your work.  Or something along these lines.
> That sounds fairly reasonable to me, I guess.  Does GFDL work this way?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  Maybe the invariant section can be
used for that.

I do vaguely remember some software using a license along those lines
which said that any derivative had to use another name (TeX, maybe?).
In some cases you can probably get similar results with a trademark,
which seems to match the underlying intention of being able to protect
your reputation.

> I'm wondering whether there is some middle ground between CC-ND and GFDL
> here.  For instance, one of the ideas I have would be to release a book
> under a strict license, disallowing even copying verbatim, then under
> CC-ND-something after, say, 3-5 years, and then GFDL after another 3-5
> years.  This looks pretty fair to me.

Along the lines of the Ghostscript system which used to release 1-year
old versions under the GPL while keeping the bleeding edge
proprietary, IIRC.

        Stefan