Re: Emacs should provide more modern item completion out of the box

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Emacs should provide more modern item completion out of the box
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 09:18:02 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> On 02.01.2020 15:44, ndame wrote:
>> Do you agree that Emacs could benefit from such a modern completion
>> system (for M-x, etc.) by providing a more attractive out of the box
>> experience?
>
> There are several.
>
> For M-x, the easiest one to try out is 'M-x icomplete-mode'. Turn it
> on and see how you like the new 'M-x' experience.
>
> And when Emacs 27 comes out, or if you can install a recent snapshot,
> try out 'M-x fido-mode'. It's a somewhat tweaked version of the
> former.

Hi, in my opinion despite completion the other feature that is really
killer in helm-M-x is that it suggests the key bindings associated with
the listed commands.

This is extremely helpful for learning new Emacs key bindings with
almost no effort.

Is there a way to have that with fido-mode or icomplete-mode?

Thanks

Andrea

--
address@hidden