Re: Emacs should provide more modern item completion out of the box

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs should provide more modern item completion out of the box
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 22:09:06 -0500

> Using a vertical display while keeping instant feedback of icomplete-mode
> that doesn't require pressing TABs should be easy to do as well:
[,,,]
> (defun minibuffer-quick-update ()
>   (when (>= (length (minibuffer-contents)) minibuffer-quick-min)
>     (let ((completion-styles '(flex))
>           (last-command nil))
>       (minibuffer-complete))))

Why `minibuffer-complete`?  This will actually perform completion
(i.e. it may modify the content of the minibuffer).  I think you want to
use `minibuffer-completion-help` instead (and I'm not sure why you bind
`completion-styles` since it will only take effect during the display
but not when the user finally hits RET).  Also, you probably want to run
this within a `while-no-input` of some kind.

        Stefan