Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:22:40 +0300

On 05.02.2020 12:15, martin rudalics wrote:
Anyway, I meanwhile further rewrote the code for mouse dragging and
'x-set-frame-size-and-position', patch attached.

The effect of this new patch is weird:

Dragging the right and/or bottom edge now moves the "cutoff" (for lack of a better word) instead of resizing the frame. The frame internal border, the mode-line, etc, stay in place, and resizing like this can cover them partially or completely, making further dragging of the same edge impossible. After, the only way to show the internal border again is to drag the left or top border. Which will refresh the rendering of all the borders.

Also, resizing by the top or left borders looks more like moving the frame because its contents do not change size (and the distance between borders stays the same; the "extra" space outside is taken by a graphics glitch).

I also added an
interface to the gtk inspector, you can enable it via

(when (fboundp 'x-gtk-debug)
   (x-gtk-debug t))

Maybe you can derive something from running it.  At least here, when
under "visual" turning on "graphics actualizations", I can clearly see
that GTK processes and passes on the resize requests for child frames
(by turning the frame red) and that they are later apparently dismissed
by mutter.

If I understood your explanation correctly, I'm seeing the same, yes. Although the settings item was called "Show Graphic Updates".