Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:01:09 +0100

> But anyway, the second patch is equivalent to my workaround
> (hiding/showing the frame), so it doesn't seem strictly necessary. The
> downside is the same: flickering.

That's what I wanted to know - whether the flickering is just the same
as with your Lisp solution.

> I guess the only part that could be
> improved there is to avoid resizing (and flicker) if the target size
> stays the same.

We could try that.

> Another thing: judging by the file names, at least, that change in the
> behavior would also affect the gtk2 build. But it's already working
> fine. We certainly don't want to introduce flickering on resize to it.

Hiding is controlled by 'x-gtk-hide-child-frame-during-resize' which you
can toggle at any time during a session.

> To clarify: would you consider the patch #1 for inclusion in Emacs 27?

Not in its present form.  I attach another variant based on a variable
'x-resize-child-frame-special'.  But I cannot test it any more because
since yesterday mutter --replace crashes here with

mutter[1053]: segfault at 88 ip 00007fe0cd3f05f5 sp 00007ffdb7e46470 error 6 in
libmutter-3.so.0.0.0[7fe0cd3ba000+db000]

so that patch likely needs tweaking (if it works at all).

martin