Re: :alnum: broken?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: :alnum: broken?
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 23:22:54 +0100

On 2020-02-29, at 22:12, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> byte-compiler warnings is a terrible method for communicating with users.
>>
>> I'd love to use better ones.
>
> Don't assume that the user compiles his .el files, for starts, implement
> the warnings on the interpreter too. Show a prompt or prominent notice
> about the presence of the warnings (similar to what is shown when the
> init files has errors). Show a special buffer with those warnings (and
> only those) which are targeted to the user. Ignore files which are
> likely authored by package writers (a good hint consists on containing a
> `provide' or living on certain directories). Add detailed information
> about how to fix the warning, assuming that the user is not proficient
> with Elisp.

+1.  I consider myself fairly proficient in Elisp; I authored quitee
a few packages, some of them distributed on Github, some of them for
private use for a few people.  I admit that even that I know about
compiler warnings, I never got into a habit of compiling my files.  (I
know I should, but consider me as a datapoint suggesting that compiler
warnings are not enough.)

My 2 cents.

--
Marcin Borkowski