Re: Regexp bytecode disassembler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Regexp bytecode disassembler
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 19:06:45 +0200

> From: Mattias Engdegård <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 16:24:38 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> 22 mars 2020 kl. 11.37 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>
> > That's too bad, but if this is the case, I see no reason to have a
> > primitive that is not used by any command or public API.  We don't have any
> > other primitives like that, AFAIR, we only add primitives that have some
> > uses.
>
> Surely adding it won't hurt Emacs in the slightest or bother anyone; it's
> just a few lines. Not having it is a bit of an inconvenience to a few people
> (requires local patching).

Having code we don't use is a maintenance burden without benefits.  If
local patching is an issue, perhaps you could rewrite the code as a
module?

But I actually still don't understand why you took such a radical step
and removed everything except the primitive.  I think this is a
valuable debugging feature, of which we don't have enough in Emacs.
Would it help if I volunteered to produce documentation from some
explanatory unformatted text that you could provide?  Or are you
refusing to document this out of some principle?  Or is something else
a matter here?