Re: Two errors in 27.* with Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Two errors in 27.* with Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 21:45:53 +0200

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:01:37 +0100
>
> > What does gpg.exe output in this case?  Does it output human-readable
> > text, or does it output binary byte stream?  If the latter, how come
> > ^M corruption is an issue?
>
> The problem is not gpg's output. That is parsed properly if I invoke
> epg's routines before Gnus: they are parsed in a text buffer (not
> binary) and the version number is identified (x.x.x). The problem is
> that, because package.el now does not trigger the identification of gpg,
> this happens in a binary buffer. The routines parse the output
> correctly, but the protocols, version numbers and everything else get
> parsed with an ending ^M -> "x.x.x^M" which breaks the identification of
> version number. If I run epg-find-configuration _after_ or _before_
> Gnus, the parsing is done in a text buffer and the ^M is not
> appended. Everything is fine. I am unable to find where the switch from
> 'nil to 'binary happens in the new code.
>
> Hope this is clear.

Sorry, no, it isn't.  When you report this problem to the bug tracker,
please make sure the description answers the following questions:

  . what do you mean by "binary buffer" (or "text buffer")?
  . I didn't say that gpg's output is the problem, I asked whether
    it's human-readable text or byte stream in this case.  I
    understand it's text (the gpg version number), in which case I
    don't understand why the code sets coding-system-for-read to
    'binary' -- it sounds like a mistake.  Can you show the place
    where this is done?
  . you are assuming that using nil for coding-system-for-read is
    correct, but I don't think it is, so if you can show where that is
    done, it might be the beginning of the solution.

Thanks.