Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 20:13:09 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Right now in my hard disk I have two copies of statically linked Emacs.
>
> (This is a secondary point, but Emacs is not linked statically, at
> least not by default.  The large size is mostly due to debug info, and
> you can strip it if you want, although I don't recommend doing so for
> a pretest version, because you cannot produce meaningful backtraces
> from a stripped binary.)

The pretests should be stripped actually. I use make install for
snapshot builds. The ones with an actual version number are make
install-strip'd.

> This means your installation procedure is modified, or maybe you
> installed a binary someone else produced, in which case the archive
> used to package the binaries didn't support hard links.  You can
> restore the hard link by removing onhe of the copies and making a hard
> link to the remaining copy under the other name.

Incidentally, I build, run and (sort of) test the Windows distribution
under NTFS compression which all works fine. If these circumstances, I
think, even the difference between two files or hard-linked is moot.

Phil