Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 22:45:32 +0000

Juan José García-Ripoll <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>>>  <address@hidden>

> So I am using stock files, never my own copies. I am using also standard
> procedures. I do not understand why the executable sizes differ so much
> between release, prerelease and built from sources.

It depends whether debugging is added or not. release and pre-release
are built with `make install-strip`, snapshots are built with `make
install`. Emacs-26 was built with `make install` regardless, and also
was a dumped binary so contained all the stuff now in the pdump file.

The result of all of this is that the executable installer for Emacs-27
is now less than half the size of "no-deps" download for Emacs-26. Of
course, this doesn't impact on space on disk. For release version of
Emacs-27, the difference between a hard linked or duplicated emacs.exe
is 6Mb.

Phil