Re: pull requests

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:06:27 +0300

On 30.03.2020 19:09, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
This discussion was revived when Richard said that pull requests should
be "hidden". Which is a novel request.
AFIU, that won't be necessary for hosting the repository used for pull
requests on nongnu.org.

That only brings further questions.

How would that even work? AFAIK none of Github clones (Gitlab, etc) support pull requests between separate installations. And it's non-trivial to implement (and possibly harder to justify to Gitlab's developers).

And without the "standard" PR automation we're back to the current state of affairs: either send patches over email, or, okay, links to external repositories and branches (you can recall yourself how often that happens).

More importantly: suppose we have a separate Gitlab installation in nongnu.org. Who's going to be able to create new branches there? There same current pool of Emacs developers? A separate list of people who ask for access afterwards? Everyone? If it's the first option, I don't see why we'd go to such great lengths at all: anyone who wanted to create "bad" branches, can do so now in the current repo.