Re: pull requests

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:39:36 -0400

On 27/03/2020 11.21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> So we are supposed to keep pointers to those sites, and use them?
> How do we know which site holds what relevant discussions? who will
> remember that several years after the discussion took place?

Don't we have the same issue with debbugs and mailing lists?  At the moment we
put links to bugs.gnu.org, emacs-devel, help-gnu-emacs, as well as the bug
trackers and mailing lists of various other projets, when relevant).  Here we
would put links to pull request numbers, likely prefixed with some identifier;
maybe something like gitlab:57?

> And what if the tracker that hosted the discussion goes dark (e.g.,
> because the person who submitted the patch is no longer keeping the
> branch,

That's not how it works: comments are attached to code fragments, like in a
patch, so they don't go away if the branch is deleted.  Just like patches sent
by email.

> or simply because the hosting service is discontinued?

I expect we would self-host, like debian and gnome do with gitlab, right? So if
we decided to discontinue the service (i.e. migrate to another platform) we
would need to migrate our issues as well.

> We must have all these archives in a single place, which we can
> control and which we can ensure continues to be available for years
> to come.

Definitely: that's why we imported old history when we migrated to git.  Same
for bug tracking or pull requests: if we move to a different service, we'd want
to export them.

Clément.