Re: pull requests

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 22:21:48 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:39:36 -0400
>
> On 27/03/2020 11.21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > So we are supposed to keep pointers to those sites, and use them?
> > How do we know which site holds what relevant discussions? who will
> > remember that several years after the discussion took place?
>
> Don't we have the same issue with debbugs and mailing lists?  At the moment
> we put links to bugs.gnu.org, emacs-devel, help-gnu-emacs, as well as the bug
> trackers and mailing lists of various other projets, when relevant).  Here we
> would put links to pull request numbers, likely prefixed with some
> identifier; maybe something like gitlab:57?

We now have the bug tracker and a couple of mailing lists (which are
really a minority, as most bugs are reported to debbugs).  The
proposal to which I was responding was to put the patches on random
remote branches out there, not on a single server.  That would make
the problem unmanageable.

> I expect we would self-host, like debian and gnome do with gitlab, right? So
> if we decided to discontinue the service (i.e. migrate to another platform)
> we would need to migrate our issues as well.

Like Dmitry, you are responding to a proposal different from what was
made, to which I posted my comments.  The proposal was NOT to have a
single server.