Re: pull requests

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:05:37 -0400

>> More importantly, given that I did a review
>> of such a remote branch, how do I communicate my comments so that they
>> are recorded for posterity?  Probably by email, so that doesn't seem
>> to solve the main problem of avoiding email in the patch submission
>> and review workflow.
>
> Assuming you use the web UI, you can typically attach comments to code
> regions.

I never use those web UIs when reviewing Git branches.
Instead, I fetch those branches with Git and then review them locally
(thank god!).

> Pros over email reviews include the fact that the comments remain attached
> to the code even after the patch is updated (so if the original author
> updates an unrelated section of the patch the comments don't disappear) and
> the fact that you get to see the full code, rather than just the patch.
>
> Cons include inferior text-editing capabilities, and inferior code browsing
> capabilities compared to applying the patch and browsing around in Emacs
> (but you can always checkout the branch, which I find nicer than applying
> patches by hand anyway).

My foggy memory says there was tool (developed by Google, maybe?) that
standardized a representation of annotations to store inside the Git
repository, so you could get both benefits (i.e. write your annotations
locally with the tool you like and then store them for posterity
attached to the code).

I can't remember its name any more (and I never used it).

        Stefan