Re: PL support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 19:38:07 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 17:30:58 +0100
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I said nothing about moving Eglot to the core.  It was João, not
> > myself.  I'd be happy if we could have these capabilities that
> > depended on Eglot (or any other package, really) being installed.  We
> > could figure out the rest later.
>
> You said you'd like to see "more of Eglot's LSP support" in the core, two
> years ago:
>
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-05/msg00419.html

I very much doubt Dmitry was replying to that 2-year old message.  He
was replying to what I said today.

> At the time, I tore off a big chunk of it, jsonrpc.el to put in the core, and
> and made it a :core package. I'm opening to tearing eglot.el gain, i.e. to
> extract again, say an lsp.el and make that a :core thing.  This would
> advance the "LSP in Emacs" goal. On thing that would fit that fill is a
> set of Elisp macros that allow for compile-time and run-time checking
> of LSP messages, among other LSP-specific but interface-agnostic
> details.
>
> Shall I start working on that?

What I'd like to see is a way to switch language-specific features in
CC Mode to LSP or some other similar facility.  Assuming that doing so
will make CC Mode faster and more accurate, that is.

If you (and/or someone else) can start working on that, please do, and
thanks in advance.  I presume that we are still a long way from that
goal, but if I'm mistaken, so much the better.