Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 09:44:50 +0200

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>>   Install Emacs packages
>
> I think "Install Add-On Packages" is better.

Add-On and Packages sound a bit redundant to me, but it's okay.

>>     Add new package* sources
>>
>> * Not sure whether this should be package or packages.
>
> What would this item do?  Variable customization is not a good
> candidate for a menu item.

My motivation while pushing for a change here is to make it easier
for users to customize package-archives, something I've seen asked
very often.

If an item pointing to the variable customization is too "direct",
then I suggest to move the item "Find extra packages" from the Help
menu to this new "Install Add-On Packages" menu.

(If we go that way, then we should probably also move the "Search
built-in packages" item.)

--
 Bastien