Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 11:18:31 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > I think "Install Add-On Packages" is better.
>>
>> Add-On and Packages sound a bit redundant to me, but it's okay.
>
> I don't think this will be redundant to newbies.  It also isn't
> necessarily redundant in general, since "packages" exist in the core
> as well.  E.g., "C-h p" finds "packages".

Okay.

>> My motivation while pushing for a change here is to make it easier
>> for users to customize package-archives, something I've seen asked
>> very often.
>
> My question was what will this menu item lead to.  IOW, what command
> will it invoke, and what UI will that command present to users?

My initial idea was for this item to invoke a command like
(lambda () (interactive) (customize-variable 'package-archives))
but you said that variable customization was not okay in a menu.

So my other suggestion is to move the Help item "Finding extra
packages" into this menu.

This would be:

Tools
  Install Add-On Packages
    List available packages  (aka M-x list-packages RET)
    Find extra packages      (aka C-h C-e)

And I'd also move "Search built-in packages" there:

Tools
  Install Add-On Packages
    List available packages  (aka M-x list-packages RET)
    Find extra packages      (aka C-h C-e)