Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 10:42:32 +0300

> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
> Cc: sacha@sachachua.com,  rms@gnu.org,  Emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 09:44:50 +0200
>
> >>   Install Emacs packages
> >
> > I think "Install Add-On Packages" is better.
>
> Add-On and Packages sound a bit redundant to me, but it's okay.

I don't think this will be redundant to newbies.  It also isn't
necessarily redundant in general, since "packages" exist in the core
as well.  E.g., "C-h p" finds "packages".

> >>     Add new package* sources
> >>
> >> * Not sure whether this should be package or packages.
> >
> > What would this item do?  Variable customization is not a good
> > candidate for a menu item.
>
> My motivation while pushing for a change here is to make it easier
> for users to customize package-archives, something I've seen asked
> very often.

My question was what will this menu item lead to.  IOW, what command
will it invoke, and what UI will that command present to users?