Re: master 64e25cd: More robust NS hex colour string parsing

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: master 64e25cd: More robust NS hex colour string parsing
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 19:29:33 +0200

13 juni 2020 kl. 19.09 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

> But the code you want to supplant explicitly does something different:

Yes, which is part of the reason why it's being supplanted.

> Of course, single-digit hex RGB specs are rarely if ever used these
> days, AFAIK, so maybe this isn't a problem in practice.  But still, I
> wonder what could we lose here or break.

This isn't going to be a problem in practice.

> How about (tty-color-values "#12345")? does it contradict yours?

No, it is an error that is (correctly) rejected by the new code in the same way
that #xyz is currently rejected.

> You are changing the behavior, so get ready to hear bug reports, is
> all I'm saying.

That's fine, I'll be ready.
It's impossible to fix bugs without changing behaviour, so if we want the
former, we have to allow for the latter, within bounds appropriate for the
situation.

> Then color-values-from-color-spec, I guess.

Thank you, but a smidgen too many 'color' in there. Would
color-values-from-spec do?