Re: vertical fido-mode

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 23:17:32 +0100

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:09 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On 18.06.2020 00:50, Juri Linkov wrote:
> > Actually the hardest question is to decide what keys to use
> > to navigate completions in the vertical layout.  It would be
> > natural to use arrow keys and M-p/n, but there keys are used
> > for history navigation in the minibuffer.
>
> I think C-n/P-n is what users would expect. See Ivy, Helm, etc.
>
> Arrow keys, too.

But those already have meaning in navigating history. So
before a potentially compatibility-breaking decision is made,
we must understand exactly what we're gaining and losing.

Contrary to what I believed C-n and C-p should be fine,
though.  I personally want to never lose C-s/C-r because
that's what Ido uses.

In fact, I hope this discussion (of which I've missed a
few mails) is now concentrating on adding this to Icomplete,
not Fido specifically.

João