Re: vertical fido-mode

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:53:12 +0100

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:53 PM Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:

> >> Currently completion is performed on a set of all possible values.
> >> In addition to this, completion could be performed on a set of
> >> all previously entered values (history items), or on default items
> >> (a list of the most useful values).  This shows all 3 possibilities:
> >>
> >> (completing-read "Prompt: "
> >>                  minibuffer-history nil nil nil
> >>                  'minibuffer-history
> >>                  minibuffer-history)
> >>
> >> M-n - defaults list, M-p - history list, TAB - completion on history list.
> >>
> >> In a normal minibuffer maybe there should be a key to switch between
> >> normal completion, completion on defaults, and completion on history.
> >> Also maybe another key to sort history items by recency/frequency
> >> in the completion list.
> >
> > I think, you are starting to describe incremental reverse history search,
> > or C-r in normal minibuffers.  It works in icomplete, too, but not too
> > well in my opinion.  Still, it's better to fix that than to reinvent the
> > wheel.
>
> Actually I meant displaying a list of completions (no matter whether
> in the *Completions* buffer or inline like in icomplete) based on
> different sets of input data (on all possible values like default completion,
> or on all history items...)

Sorry, Juri.  Perhaps I read your email in a hurry. I'm not opposed to
having new forms of navigating history or other collections of potential
completions, of course.  I was just mentioning that within the current
completion interface, both the regular minibufer, Icomplete and Ido
have ways to reach back to history items using "reverse-isearch".  The
regular minibuffer's is triggered by C-r and in Ido it's simply a question
of typing something, then typing M-p, if I recall correctly.  In Icomplete,
C-r works , but what follows is not completely intuitive, IMO. It should
be perfected.  What I said for Icomplete goes for Fido, except that uses
C-M-r because its C-r is used for something else.

João

--
João Távora