Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 14:10:43 -0500

On 2020-11-03 18:59, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Since recently, remote files are trashed to the local trash can. Are you
> able to restore them, if the trash can is derived from XDG spec?

Oooh. Nice point. I never tested the software with tramp / smb / ssh.
What the software does is respect the XDG metadata stored in the
trash/info directory and performs a file move to the location identified
by that metadata. The software is agnostic to the location, so if emacs
requires any extra processing to reach the "remote", I don't know if the
operation would succeed. It's reasonable to expect the file move to be
handled at a 'level below' the dired function call and so succeed, but I
don't know.

> Test with recent master branch.

I'm not set up for that just now. Can you try and report back?

Also, since you mentioned the 'master branch'... I'm not a regular
lurker on this mailing list, so this may already have been discussed...
Is emacs planning on renaming its 'master branch' to something less
evocative of some 'master race'? You may have caught wind of the trend
to nudge society world-wide to a bit more sensitivity to historic
atrocities world-wide. Even github has recently gotten on-board and no
longer sets default branches to 'master branch'; they use 'main branch'
now. If it hasn't been discussed yet, let me know and I'll start a
dedicated thread with appropriate subject line.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0