Re: Integration of dictionary package

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Integration of dictionary package
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 06:11:25 +0300

Keep choices during session:[1]
----------------------------

When I select dictionary and bury the buffer like with quit button,
then the selected dictionary is erased.

My expectation is that selected dictionary remains at least during
the session until I change it. Let us say somebody translates words,
then each time new word need to be translated user would again need to
select dictionary.

This same should apply for [Select Match Strategy] as if I already
select "Match substring occurring anywhere in a headword" then I
expect as user that match strategy remains at least for the session
time, and not that I need to re-select it again. I would not even find
or know that some definition did exist for substring.

Failed to open server localhost, continue with dict.org (y/n)?

If user says one time here, then at least during Emacs session this
need not be asked again, unless user sets it up to be let us say
localhost.

Matching strategy
-----------------

Matching strategy could be customizable, I am not sure if it is, is
it?

When I already say for example: .

[quit] button:
--------------

Just like M-x calendar and some other features I think there is no
need to really kill the *Dictionary* buffer. It better remains in
memory. When user click on [quit] it would bury the buffer but it
would not kill it.

By doing so, also the above first problem with remembering of choices
would be partially solved, but I do not think this should be solution
for the choices problem during Emacs session. Choices should be
remembered during Emacs session even if *Dictionary* buffer is
killed. See above [1].

Regarding selection of dictionary
---------------------------------

For this here:

Please select your default dictionary:

*: All dictionaries
!: The first matching dictionary

I do not understand what "*" and "!" should mean for the user. I can
see that selection can be done with ENTER (mouse should work with 1st
mouse button, but does not).

Those symbols ! and * maybe indicate something else as for underlying
choices with the dict server. But to me as user they indicate possibly
to press those keys to select a dictionary.

Selection of dictionary after definition not found

When I search for definition but definition is not found there is
error: if: No match for "customizable" with strategy "." in dictionary "*".

(Now I wonder why is that word not found)

1. If word is not found and there are no other words, then that part
   of sentence ", maybe you are looking for one of these words" should
   be removed as already mentioned.

2. But now, when word is not found, and user did not use All
   dictionaries as option, upon [select dictionary] thereafter same
   word should be searched. Now I see this does happen, but do not
   know why it does not happen all times.

   1. I selected already All dictionaries
   2. [Search Definition] I enter: customizable
   3. Word not found, maybe you are looking for one of these words
      if: No match for "customizable" with strategy "." in dictionary "*".
   4. [Select Dictionary] All dictionaries
   5. Now I get definitions

   Something is wrong with this workflow as first I do not get
   anything.

   If I again [Search definition] I will again get word not
   found. Which is not logical.

Capitalization of buttons
-------------------------

[Back] [Search Definition]         [Matching words]        [Quit]
       [Select Dictionary]         [Select Match Strategy]

While buttons are fine, maybe they need not be capitalized as titles,
maybe no capitalization is necessary or just first word.

Matching words is not capitalized as other buttons, it's not
consistent.

[Matching words] question
-------------------------

If I already select match strategy to be substring, then if I go for
"Search definition" and write "tayl" (expecting taylor) I do not find
there "taylor", I find other choices.

I am myself not sure of differences and wording "Matching words"
because "Search definition" is call for action but "Matching words" is
not call for action.

I would like to understand the difference and why "Search definition"
is not following "Match Strategy" and why I need to use "Matching
words" to follow "Match Strategy".

And then some native English speaker to say if that button sounds
right "Matching Words".

Involve TAB to jump from button to button, from marked word to marked word

I see that TAB gives me error: "There is no next link"

Instead to look for some links, it should jump in the first 2 lines,
if there are buttons shown from button to button and after buttons, it
should jump from marked (yellow) word to marked word so that user may
quickly get to the choices.