Re: Integration of dictionary package

From: Torsten Hilbrich
Subject: Re: Integration of dictionary package
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 07:44:07 +0100

On 20.11.20 06:36, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Torsten Hilbrich <emacs.nolkaf@hilbrich.tk> [2020-11-20 08:29]:
>> On 20.11.20 03:32, Jean Louis wrote:
>>> ?boobytrapped?
>>>
>>> Some words appear with question marks. Do you know why is it so?
>>>

>> I found examples of this in the jargon file. It seems to be some kind of
>> emphasis of the text. I compared with pure html versions and it seems
>> that there single quotes are used, like in
>> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/F/foo.html
>>
>> dict: ?Fucked Up Beyond All Repair?
>> html: ‘Fucked Up Beyond All Repair’
>>
>> This seems to be caused by the convertion process of the jargon file
>> into the dictionary format (maybe by limitations of ASCII).
>>
>> We could do some post-processing on the text returned by the server
>> (which is already done to mark links). But the pattern would be quite
>> complex and most likely specific to the dictionary used.
>
> If that is not bug in your package then maybe it is in how dictd
> outputs those chars. If it outputs question marks, than is better
> leaving it as future may bring enhancement from server side.

Here is an excerpt from asking the server directly:

torsten@t460:~$ telnet dict.org 2628
Trying 199.48.130.6...
Connected to dict.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 dict.dict.org dictd 1.12.1/rf on Linux 4.19.0-10-amd64 <auth.mime>
<269222.19371.1605854343@dict.dict.org>
define jargon foo
150 1 definitions retrieved
151 "foo" jargon "The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003)"
foo
 /foo/

    1. interj. Term of disgust.

    2. [very common] Used very generally as a sample name for absolutely
    anything, esp. programs and files (esp. scratch files).

    3. First on the standard list of {metasyntactic variable}s used in syntax
    examples. See also {bar}, {baz}, {qux}, {quux}, {garply}, {waldo}, {fred},
    {plugh}, {xyzzy}, {thud}.

    When ?foo? is used in connection with ?bar? it has generally traced to the
    WWII-era Army slang acronym {FUBAR} (?Fucked Up Beyond All Repair? or
    ?Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition?), later modified to {foobar}. Early
    versions of the Jargon File interpreted this change as a post-war
    bowdlerization, but it it now seems more likely that FUBAR was itself a
    derivative of ?foo? perhaps influenced by German furchtbar (terrible) ?
    ?foobar? may actually have been the original form.

So they originate in the server. And the "OPTION MIME" does not change the
behaviour.

        Torsten