Re: flag to use tor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: flag to use tor
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 00:53:26 -0500

  > > I tried a simpler version which simply runs Emacs (and GDB) under
  > > torsocks.
  > >
  > > At first it seemed to work.  It worked for network sockets.
  > > But then I found operations that failed because they used local sockets.
  > > It seems that torsocks causes even local sockets to try to go via tor

  > local unix sockets or network connections to localhost?

I have no idea.  I ran the 'icecat' program to specify a URL for my
existing IceCat process to display in a new frame.  I suppose that
Firefox has the same feature, but I don't know how it is implemented.
Whatever it does, changing it would not be practical.

I think Emacs needs a facility to do torsocks for all subprocesses
aside from a list of specific exceptions, and for all
open-network-stream connections aside from a list of specific
exceptions.  That will provide some flexibility, which running Emacs
itself under torsocks cannot offer.

--
Dr Richard Stallman