Re: Some dynamic module questions

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Some dynamic module questions
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:50:34 +0100

Am Fr., 27. Nov. 2020 um 11:47 Uhr schrieb Helmut Eller
<eller.helmut@gmail.com>:

> 1. Is there some way to pass unibyte-strings to module functions?

Emacs 28 will have a make_unibyte_string function. Before that, you
have to resort to calling the unibyte-string function directly.

> 2. Why does initialize_environment copy all the function pointers all
>    the time?  Would it be more efficient to use the same function table
>    for all environments.

The environment structure holds some per-call state (the signal data),
so we need to create a new one for each call. We could in theory
optimize this by preinitializing an environment structure with the
function pointers (saving a few IP-relative memory accesses); I'm not
sure whether that's significantly faster though.