Re: Some dynamic module questions

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Some dynamic module questions
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 13:59:51 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> But that's only for passing bytes from C to Lisp.  What about the other
>> direction?
>
> Why do you need that?  The concept of unibyte vs multibyte strings
> exists only in Lisp; in C you just have a sequence of 'char' bytes,
> and the way you interpret it depends on your C code.
>
> If you have some specific use case where this looks like a necessity,
> can you describe that use case?

I'm writing (or trying to write) ELisp bindings for Cap’n Proto[1],
which is an RPC system along with a data interchange format.  Cap'n
Proto has (among other things[2]) these two data types:

  - Text: is always UTF-8 encoded and NUL-terminated.
  - Data: is a completely arbitrary sequence of bytes.

My plan is to map Text to Elisp (multibyte)strings and Data to unibyte
strings.

Helmut

[1] https://capnproto.org/
[2] https://capnproto.org/language.html