Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 17:03:49 +0200

> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 13:43:27 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>
> cc: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>, andreyk.mad@gmail.com,
>         emacs-devel@gnu.org, enometh@meer.net, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>         acm@muc.de
>
> >> Having a customizable variable like 'minibuffer-follows-selected-frame'
> >> whose purpose is to get back the old behavior, should also provide that
> >> old behavior as faithfully as possible IMHO.
> >
> > The NEWS entry clearly says that the old behavior is no longer
> > available, so getting back the old behavior is not the purpose of that
> > variable.
>
> I hope that does not mean "end of discussion".

No, it's just to point out that Martin was expecting from that
variable something it didn't intend to provide.

> it is surprising that such a radical change was accepted without
> testing these cases, which are obvious cases to test.

The master branch _is_ for testing things.  If a change has adverse
effects, those adverse effects should be fixed.  If it turns out there
are too many adverse effects that cannot be reasonably fixed, the
change will be reverted.

> The NEWS entry says "Nevertheless, the effect of what you type in the
> minibuffer happens in the frame where the minibuffer was first activated,
> even if it moved to another frame."  This is not correct.  Three recipes:

Please report bugs about these recipes, they need to be investigated,
and either they or the documentation needs to be fixed.

TIA