Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 09:28:21 +0100

> But if it results in regressions with packages to maple-minibuffer or
> mini-frame, we should of course try and address that (either by refining
> the behavior or by changing the default).

Both, Andrii's and Madhu's scenarios, have to be fixed.  Then we might
be able to get rid of other oddities like 'redirect-frame-focus' and
frame auto hiding as well.  What we want to do here is to track
non-modal user dialogues in our own way.  In particular, we want to
handle the case that a user wants to suspend such a dialogue and do
something else in between, either in Emacs or in another application.

The major issues then are how to handle the following actions wrt the
Emacs windows participating in that dialogue: mouse clicks and hovering,
alt-tabbing and altering the window configuration via C-x o, C-x 5 o,
window creation and deletion.  Before and after Alan's changes all of
these do not work satisfactorily.

Most applications I know of do not allow such non-modal dialogues.  And
I know of no other application that may display messages in the same
area where a prompt appears which further complicates things with Emacs.

martin