Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 14:15:48 +0100

>    > Because people want to use it, and people want to make things nicer.
>
>    You want a hard to type binding for revert-buffer, you already have
>    that.
>
> It is not I who wanted it.

What is still unclear to me is why a *global* binding for
revert-buffer is useful.

In text-editing buffers, we have M-x revert-buffer. We have the
various auto-revert modes for when the file changes outside of the
editor. And we have an entry in the "Files" menu.
What scenario do they not cover?

In special buffers, manually triggering a revert can be useful, but
those buffers typically have a lot more keys to choose from. Not only
that, they even already have a binding for revert-buffer ('g', in
special-mode-map).

If a mode has a more useful binding on 'g', they can either set
revert-buffer-function or use another key for revert-buffer (or both).

What problem does a global binding solve?