Concern about bikeshedding.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Concern about bikeshedding.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 19:42:35 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

In the last few days on this list there has been a thread "Concern about
new binding.".  This thread now has nearly 200 posts in it.

Now, it is entirely legitimate to have raised the issue in the first
place.  The possible courses of action are limited to, perhaps, five or
ten, so why have we nearly 200 posts in the thread?  I also have my view
on the matter, but have held back from expressing it.

Concerning a key binding for revert-buffer, there is no particularly good
solution, and no particularly bad one either.  There is surely nothing
proposed that nobody could live with.

The main point - it is profoundly unimportant what decision is reached
on it.  We should trust our head maintainer, Eli, to make this decision,
which we should then respect.

Should we really expect Eli to spend so much of his limited time
trawling through threads like this one, responding to many, if not most
of the posts?  I say we should show a bit more consideration, and hold
off from such bikeshedding.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).