Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 21:41:46 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 18:24:37 +0000
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > > More than that.  Over that time, how often have people
> > > asked for such a global binding?
> >
> > We never bother ourselves with such questions; never did.  We consider
> > ourselves to be aware and familiar enough with the Emacs usage
> > landscape to make such decisions without polling users on each and
> > every step,
>
> I think Richard was not talking about polling, there.
>
> I mentioned polling.

You did, and Richard said "more than that".  If that's not agreement,
then I don't know what agreement is.

> > In a case such as this one, when one of the maintainers says "this
> > makes sense", I expect to hear technical arguments for or against that
> > (btw, only agreements were heard when the original decision in this
> > case was made), but I do NOT expect to hear "go ask the world because
> > you don't really know what you are talking about".
>
> 1. I gave technical arguments.  I've even repeated
>    them, since.

Not relevant to the issues I raised.

> 2. It's not true that only agreements were heard.
>    I expressed disagreement from the outset.

You disagree with any suggestion to add new key bindings, so I long
ago stopped taking your disagreements about these issues seriously.

> I just asked _questions_:
>
>   How do we know that?  Users haven't been polled,
>   have they?

"You just asked questions."  Please don't insult my intelligence.  I
can read, you know.  When I express an opinion and you say we cannot
know that because there was no poll, how to interpret that other than
a demand to make a poll before my opinion would count?  And then
Richard seconded that.