Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:21:20 +0000

It seems to me that the root problem of this thread, and similar ones in the past months, is the lack of a convention for external packages in `(elisp) Key Binding Conventions'. There is a convention for users, there are conventions for major and minor modes, but there is no convention for external packages such as Magit, Drew's packages, and so forth. Consequently, the only solution for such packages is to use the currently empty slots, with a sword of Damocles hanging over them: these empty slots could at any time be reclaimed by Emacs. I too can sympathize with Drew's (and other's) frustration when this happens.

A proposal to solve the current problem and future similar problems is to free one of the keys, and to mention in `(elisp) Key Binding Conventions' that it is, forever, reserved for external packages.

This proposal has two forms: a weak and a strong one. The weak one would only reserve the control key, the strong one would also reserve the meta and control-meta keys.

The candidate keys for that proposal are "z", "t" and "o".

IOW, one could for example reserve either "C-z" (weak version), or "C-z" and "M-z" and "C-M-z" (strong version), for external packages.

This is a one-time change, which I'm sure will not be an easy one for everyone, but is a long-term solution that will avoid such repeated wars.