Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 20:14:29 +0100

On February 5, 2021 12:21:02 PM GMT+01:00, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:21:20 +0000
>> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
>>
>> A proposal to solve the current problem and future similar problems
>is to
>> free one of the keys, and to mention in `(elisp) Key Binding
>Conventions'
>> that it is, forever, reserved for external packages.
>>
>> This proposal has two forms: a weak and a strong one.  The weak one
>would
>> only reserve the control key, the strong one would also reserve the
>meta
>> and control-meta keys.
>>
>> The candidate keys for that proposal are "z", "t" and "o".
>
>C-z, C-t, and C-o are already taken, and are very old bindings.  C-t
>in particular is very useful and frequently-used (by me, FWIW), and
>also matches the default binding in Bash, GDB CLI, and elsewhere.  A
>recent discussion demonstrated that at least for C-z enough people are
>against changing its binding, even though we have "C-x C-z" to do the
>same.

Hi Eli:

IIRC there were not agreement about what to do with C-z. BUT not really many
people against the change itself. There was the suggestion to use C-z C-z and
C-z z (ala M-g g) inside the new C-z map that made happy many old C-z users.
Then the problem was the lack of a decision and a deadline to decide.

Sometimes I feel that we need just a pool application to vote and a deadline.
to decide about. And we will save a lot of emails.