Re: Concern about new binding.

From: chad
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 15:57:20 -0800

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 11:16 AM Ergus via Emacs development discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
>recent discussion demonstrated that at least for C-z enough people are
>against changing its binding, even though we have "C-x C-z" to do the
>same.

IIRC there were not agreement about what to do with C-z. BUT not really many people against the change itself. There was the suggestion to use C-z C-z and C-z z (ala M-g g) inside the new C-z map that made happy many old C-z users. Then the problem was the lack of a decision and a deadline to decide.

I had proposed such a change a while back, not too long before the thread in question, along with a request for people to reply to the list or to me directly if they used C-z suspend-frame in GUI emacs. FWIW, I got no reply saying that they did use the binding, and multiple people saying that they had rebound C-z themselves (which I have been doing for 25+ years).

What I would characterize as the major objection was the desire to have emacs on a tty respond reasonably to at least one of the canonical ways to end a tty program, C-c or C-z, along with reluctance to strongly segregate the keybindings between tty and GUI, at least as far as commonly-used functions were concerned.

I think that there is a reasonable technical solution available here where hitting C-z and then nothing else for a few seconds provides enough guidance to the user, roughly along the same lines as what the very popular package which-key already does.

(For anyone not familiar, it creates, after a short delay, a list of possible completions for a current partial command. More details can be had from:
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/which-key.html )

There had been talk in the past year about perhaps including/enabling something which-key or something similar as part of the "modernization" effort, so I didn't push the conversation past that point.

Hope that helps,
~Chad