Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:59:13 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2021-02-06 21:10]:
> > |      (A)      |      (B)      |
> > |---------------|---------------|
> > | C-x j         | C-o j         |
> > | C-x j = f     | C-o j = f     |
> > | C-x j t . % + | C-o j t . % + |
> > | C-x 4 j       | C-o 4 j       |
> > | C-x x :       | C-o x :       |
> > | C-x x t e     | C-o x t e     |
> > | C-x x t + b   | C-o x t + b   |
>
> You don't seem to be hearing that I want more
> than just reserving one prefix key, `C-o'.

I am using zile very often as Zile Is Lossy Emacs. Zile editor has C-o
that does same what current Emacs does. It adopted C-o because of
Emacs. Changing C-o in Emacs would break all the habits of using C-o
in Emacs like editors and Emacs like keybindings in other software. To
me that does not make sense.

There is `mg' editor that is used in BSD derivates as Emacs
replacement and it uses C-o to open-line

`qemacs' uses C-o to open-line because it follows Emacs key bindings.

`e3em' uses C-o to open-line because it follows Emacs key bindings.

Changing C-o would break users' habits, and many other editors rely on
some standard Emacs bindings. That introduces much confusion.

I realize you did not use C-o often and I am surprised, I have
observed few other people here also did not find use of C-o.

How do you open move the current line and come into previous line to
insert that one? That would involve something like C-a ENTER C-p if
cursor is not at beginning of the line. If cursor is at beginning then
ENTER C-p.

With C-o I do: C-a C-o if cursors is in the middle of the line and C-o
if cursor is at begin of the line. And I use C-o so often, many times
daily.

In vi editos I use "O".

Without knowing that some people never use C-o I found it very
important command, and while used in other editors I find it
surprising that proposals come to remove C-o to something else.

Removing C-o is to me same as removing C-x C-f

Those empty keys or less known C-x bindings would be just fine.

Jean